Since our founding in 1915, Amherst Community Church has always been a true community church - founded on the principles of Christian belief, and reaching out to our neighbors in faith and fellowship.
Snyder and Amherst were still largely farm country when the church's founding members, representing the Congregational, Baptist, Presbyterian and Methodist traditions, established ACC. Their hope was that the church would help to unify the developing community, and for many years ours was the only Protestant church in the Amherst area.
Amherst Community Church became part of the United Church of Christ at the time the denomination was formed in 1957. In 1985 we voted to affiliate as well with the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), in support of that denomination's move toward full communion with the United Church of Christ. By congregational vote, we ended our dual affiliation in 2011 and now are affiliated only with the UCC.
The original building was put up in 1916, and the current sanctuary was completed in 1951. A major expansion and renovation took place in 1965, adding classroom space and a new library. More recently, we have installed an elevator (making the church fully accessible to disabled people) and completed a major roofing and painting project.
In 1987, the congregation voted to declare itself Open and Affirming, extending an intentional welcome to gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people. ACC was one of the first local churches in the United Church of Christ to take this step.
Following a long tradition of distinguished and caring pastoral leadership, Rev. Scott Thomas, a former newspaper editor, was called as senior minister and began service at ACC in July 2004.